Quick Vegetarian Christmas Stuffing
This Quick Vegetarian Christmas Stuffing is made using sage and onion, apple and a fair amount of quality vegetarian sausages, which add flavour, substance and healthy protein.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 270 g vegetarian sausages chopped
- 50 g soft bread broken into small pieces
- 40 ml cider
- 1 medium apple
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 70 g chestnuts chopped
- 1 medium/large onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp onion granules
- 40 g cheese mature cheddar or other strong cheese, coarsely grated
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. You will need a medium casserole dish.
In a large frying pan heat up 2 tablespoons of the oil, add the onions and cook slowly for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the cider, peeled, cored and finely cubed apple, cranberries, sage, onion granules, a bit of salt and a good pinch of pepper, and continue simmering for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat and cool a little.
Place the sausages, bread pieces, 2 tablespoons of the oil and 1/3 of the onion mixture in a blender and process briefly until the mixture starts coming together and becoming sticky but is still very lumpy (this should take about 15-20 seconds).
Place the mixture in a large bowl, add the cheese and chestnuts and stir to combine. Transfer the stuffing into your oven dish, drizzle with the remaining oil (about 2 tablespoons) and bake for 30 minutes. Serve alongside turkey or ham or as part of a vegetarian Christmas dinner.
- Use good quality vegetarian sausages.
- You can use either soft bread or bun, white or whole wheat.
- Blitz the ingredients for a few seconds only, until they start coming together so that the stuffing is not overblended and pasty.
- Arrange the stuffing in the baking dish loosely, without smoothing out the top so that it has a bit of a rugged appearance which will crisp up nicely in the oven.
- Best served immediately.
- Freeze raw stuffing in the baking dish and bake from frozen.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 571mg | Potassium: 137mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 83IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 3mg