Potato Polenta Dumplings with Cheese
These simple potato polenta dumplings are a delicious gluten free side dish - serve with a little bit of parmesan sprinkled on top, alongside vegetables or even instead of hash browns with your morning eggs (they taste great with a bit of ketchup:).
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 8 minutes
Total Time 53 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 400 g potatoes approx. 3 large potatoes, unpeeled weight
- 90 g coarse cornmeal/polenta plus 20-30 g more for coating
- 50 g parmesan or other hard cheese, coarsely grated
- Olive oil for frying about 2-3 tablespoons per batch
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Peel and boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain the water off (thoroughly), mash the potatoes and leave to cool completely.
In a large bowl combine the potatoes with the parmesan, season (plenty of pepper and only a bit of salt) and combine using the back of a large spoon. Gradually add the cornmeal, using the back of a spoon or potato masher to mix it in. Knead with your hands to bring the dough together.
Scatter a bit of cornmeal onto your work space, place 1 half (easier to work with) of the dough on it and start pressing to gently stretch the dough, at the same time rolling and shaping into a long sausage (do this gently as the dough might be a little crumbly in places, if this happens just bring it back together and continue shaping). Cut into 1.5-2 cm pieces. Coat the dumplings in the cornmeal.
Heat up 2 tablespoons of the oil and fry the dumplings over a medium heat until golden brown, 2-3 minutes on each side (work in batches to avoid crowding the pan) - add a bit more oil once you've turned them over. Serve immediately.
- Preparation time DOES include the time needed to boil and cool the potatoes.
- Drain and mash the potatoes well before making the dumplings.
- Use a potato masher to combine the dumpling ingredients.
- Lightly season with salt and be more generous with the pepper.
- Best served straight from the pan.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 211mg | Potassium: 497mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 98IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 178mg | Iron: 4mg