Cold Beet Soup (Polish Chlodnik)
Polish cold beet soup (chlodnik) is delicious, refreshing and super quick and easy to make. It contains both beets as well as beet greens so nothing gets wasted!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Cooling time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 6 -8 servings
- 2 small beets with their greens or use 1 medium beet and greens from 2 beets
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 and 2/3 cup water or vegetable stock
- 750 ml natural/Greek yogurt you can also add buttermilk and/or kefir
- 3-4 tbsp dill finely chopped
- 4 tbsp chives finely chopped
- 10 radishes coarsely grated
- cucumber 15 cm long, peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- Season to taste if using water add approx. 1.5 tsp fine sea salt
- Serve with hard boiled eggs optional
- Use either water or vegetable stock (if you use the latter do not season until the soup is ready).
- You can use either Greek or natural yogurt, combined with kefir or buttermilk if you like. I do not recommend sour cream or creme fraiche as they have a much higher fat content.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Storing: refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Not suitable for freezing.