Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup with Spiralized Vegetables & Pasta
My quick healthy chicken noodle soup contains a mixture of vegetable noodles and wheat vermicelli so it is not only full of goodness but also satisfying - the perfect healthy comfort food.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 3 chicken thighs skinless
- 1 medium carrot peeled
- 1 small zucchini courgette
- A piece of celeriac the size of a medium potato, peeled
- 1 small turnip/swede the size of a small potato, peeled
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1.4 l water adjust the amount to suit your taste
- 3 thin vermicelli nests or equivalent amount filini pasta
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole allspice
- 1/3 tsp turmeric powder optional
- Handful of fresh parsley
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs ex. dill, parsley for garnish
In a large pot combine the chicken with the water, cover and bring to boil. Once bubbles start appearing lower the heat to a simmer, skim foam, add the stock cubes, a handful of fresh parsley, bay leaf and allspice, cover and continue simmering for 30 minutes.
In the meantime boil the vermicelli in salted water (approx. 3 minutes), strain and set aside.
Spiralize the celeriac, carrot, turnip and zucchini (place the spiralized zucchini in a separate bowl) and set aside.
After 30 minutes of cooking remove the parsley (do not remove the soup from the heat), place the chicken on a plate/cutting board, separate the meat from the bone and put the meat back in the pot.
Add the fenugreek and turmeric, celeriac, turnip and carrot and continue simmering for 5 minutes (you might have to bring the soup to the boil again after you've added the vegetables and then lower the heat to a simmer). Add the zoodles (zucchini), stir, remove from the heat and season to taste.
If you plan to serve the soup straight away add the vermicelli into the pot. Alternatively add small amounts to individual soup portions (if you leave the vermicelli in the pot it will become soft and mushy). Serve with a sprinkling of fresh herbs.
- Use chicken thighs, chicken quarters or drumsticks, not chicken breast (it will get tough after prolonged cooking).
- I recommend using wheat vermicelli or filini pasta shapes.
- I used turmeric for colour but it's optional.
- Substitutions: You can use less vegetables than I have or swap them for different ones. Butternut squash or sweet potato would be good alternatives for carrot (though using both might make the soup too sweet). You could also use different herbs for garnish. I used parsley and dill but chives or cilantro would work well too.
- Add the spiralized zucchini into the soup towards the end and cook for only 1 minute (zucchini needs less time to cook than other vegetables).
- Adjust the amount of water to suit your preference.
- Add the pasta into the soup just before serving or add small amounts into individual portions.
- Adjust seasoning just before serving - you may not need to add any salt, only pepper to taste.
- Keep refrigerated (without adding the pasta) for up to 4 days.
- Freeze individual portions without the wheat pasta for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 146kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 306mg | Potassium: 272mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1808IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg