Healthy Chocolate Quinoa Muffins
These easy and delicious healthy chocolate quinoa muffins are made with a moderate amount of sugar and fat and can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch or even as a healthier dessert/snack.
Prep Time 12 minutes
Cook Time 23 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
- 50 g cacao/cocoa
- 140 g flour
- 100 g ground almonds/almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100 g dark chocolate chips
- 120 g cooked quinoa
- 100 g sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 260 ml semi-skimmed milk
- Pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C / gas mark 6. Lightly grease or line 12 a muffin pan with 12 muffin cases.
Combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, cacao/ cocoa and pinch of salt. Stir using a whisk until well combined.
In another bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla extract. Stir in the quinoa, add the milk and stir to combine.
Stir the chocolate chips into the flour mixture. Combine the flour and egg mixtures and stir only until there are no dry ingredients visible. The mixture will be quite runny and should be lumpy.
Spoon equal amounts of the batter into the muffin cases and bake for 23 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
- Cacao or cocoa: I used cacao rather than the more popular cocoa in this chocolate muffin recipe as it's healthier but if you can't get it or prefer to use cocoa that's absolutely fine too. (Check out this collection of 27 everyday healthy cacao recipes).
- Batter: It is important not to overstir the muffin mixture, once you've added the dry ingredients, so the muffins come out of the oven nicely rounded (not flat or with high peaks).
- Quinoa: To save time cook the quinoa ahead (according to packet instructions) and once cooled
- Best served a little warm. Store in a plastic container for up to 2 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 32mg | Potassium: 203mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 62IU | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 2mg