Simple Quinoa Muffins with Blueberries
These easy to make, delicious healthy blueberry quinoa muffins are packed full of goodness and flavour, making a fantastic breakfast/brunch, snack or healthy lunchbox idea.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
- 130 g cooked quinoa
- 180 g blueberries (1.22 cups) fresh or frozen
- 260 g flour (2.08 cups)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 70 g sugar (0.35 cups)
- 2 small/medium eggs
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 230 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Lightly grease or line a muffin pan with 12 muffin cases.
In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and stir well using a whisk. Set aside.
In another large bowl combine the egg, sugar, oil and vanilla extract and whisk to combine thoroughly. Add the quinoa and milk and stir.
Toss the blueberries into the dry mixture and stir gently to combine. Pour into the egg mixture and stir only until the dry ingredients are no longer visible. The batter will be lumpy.
Spoon equal amounts of the batter into the muffin cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes.
Remove from the oven and leave in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer the muffins onto a cooling rack.
- Quinoa: Cook the quinoa ahead and once cooled, refrigerate, covered, for up to 3 days. This will save you preparation time.
- Fruit: Use either fresh or frozen blueberries. I personally prefer frozen as they keep their shape better in baking plus I can enjoy these muffins all year round, not just when blueberries are in season. Raspberries and strawberries will work in this recipe too.
- Spices: I kept this recipe simple and didn't use any spices but cinnamon (1-1.5 tsp), pinch of nutmeg or lemon zest (1 lemon) would work well in this recipe.
- Do NOT overstir the batter. Stop stirring when all the ingredients have been incorporated.
- Best served on the day. Pop in the microwave for a few seconds just before serving, if possible.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 188kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 21mg | Potassium: 158mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 67IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 1mg