Healthy Cauliflower Cheese Patties
These healthy, delicious cheese patties are made using cauliflower rice and a moderate amount of cheese (plus a few extra ingredients to help bind the mixture)
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 10 -14 patties
- 1 small cauliflower roughly chopped, approx. 450 g
- 1 cup grated mature cheddar cheese or another strong cheese
- 4 tbsp cilantro, parsley or chives finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp each: fine sea salt and black, white or cayenne pepper
- 6 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 4-6 tbsp olive oil for frying
In a blender process the cauliflower, garlic and cilantro to obtain a coarse, crumbly mixture (do not overblend). Work in batches if you have a small blender. Add the pepper, salt, cheese and 4 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs and blitz again until the mixture becomes sticky rather than crumbly (it should still be grainy, not mushy).
Form small patties and coat in the remaining breadcrumbs.
Heat up a little oil and shallow fry the patties over a medium heat for 2 minutes on each side. Avoid overcrowding the pan and work in batches if necessary. Enjoy hot or cold.
- Make sure you don't overblend the cauliflower mixture and turn it into a paste. I blended the cauliflower with the garlic and cilantro to ensure the flavour was evenly distributed. If you have a small blender it's best to make the cauliflower rice in batches.
- The cauliflower mixture is blended twice to allow all the ingredients to bind together and form a thick paste that's easy to work with. Make sure the mixture is still grainy, not completely mushy.
- You can swap the cilantro for parsley or chives. Also, you could add 1 teaspoon of paprika (sweet or smoked), curry powder or 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric (for colour) into the mixture.
- To save time you can prepare the cauliflower rice ahead. Keep it covered in the fridge overnight and make the patties the next day.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 134kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 132mg | Potassium: 195mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 113IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 1mg