Healthy Fish Cakes with Potato with Chives
These easy healthy fish cakes with potato and chives contain very few ingredients and can be put together in minutes - they make a delicious and nutritious weeknight meal idea the whole family will enjoy!
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 4 minutes
Total Time 29 minutes
Servings 10 fish cakes
- 380 g cod or haddock frozen or fresh
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and cubed (they will cook faster)
- 4 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp each: fine sea salt and white pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil for frying
- 2-3 tablespoons breadcrumbs for coating
Boil the potatoes until tender. Remove from the heat, drain well, add the cream cheese and mash until smooth while still hot, using a potato masher.
Meanwhile in another pot gently cook the fish, covered, from frozen for about 15 minutes (do not overcook) without adding any water - there will be sufficient water from the fish thawing. Stir occasionally to prevent the fish sticking to the pot. Remove from the heat, drain well, then mash with a fork or back of a spoon while still hot.
Combine the potatoes, fish (they can still be warm), chives and seasoning and mix together using a potato masher until the mixture is smooth and creamy. If the mixture doesn't seem thick enough add a bit of breadcrumbs (1-2 tablespoons).
Form small round cakes, coat in breadcrumbs, then heat up some oil (approx. 2 tablespoons) and fry over a medium heat for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Do not overcrowd the pan so you can turn them over easily.
- Mash the fish while still hot (this can be done using a fork) and combine with the mashed potato using a potato masher. It really does make a difference.
- Mash the potatoes also while hot - this will make the mixture smoother.
- If your fish cake mixture doesn't seem thick enough add a bit of breadcrumbs (1-2 tablespoons)
- You can cook the potatoes as well as the fish in advance. Simply mash them up (see Instructions for more on that), season and once cooled, refrigerate (overnight is fine). When you are ready to make the fish cakes combine both mixtures, add the chives and mash thoroughly using a potato masher. Form the fish cakes as per instructions.
- Freezing: Place uncooked fish cakes in an airtight container with parchment paper separating each and freeze for up to 3 months. To defrost place the fish cakes on top of a plate. Fry as per Instructions.
- Preparation time includes cooking the fish and potatoes.