Butternut Squash Bulgur Wheat Loaf
This Butternut Squash Bulgur Wheat Loaf is a delicious yet simple side dish recipe idea that contains not only carbohydrates, which we need in our diet, but also vegetables, which we need quite a lot of in our diet!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 4 people
- 320 g butternut squash peeled, coarsely grated
- 2/3 cup raw bulgur wheat plus 2/3 cup boiling water for rehydrating it
- 2/3 cup approx. 70g cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon onion granules
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more for greasing the tin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt plenty of pepper
- Lemon zest for garnish optional
Place the bulgur wheat in a bowl, add 2/3 cup boiling water and leave to stand, covered, for 15-20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. Grease a medium size loaf tin with a little oil and line with non-stick baking paper. Set aside.
In a large bowl combine the butternut squash, cheddar, garlic, onion granules, oil, salt and pepper and bulgur (once it's cooled down a little). Stir thoroughly. Tip into the baking tin, press down to make the loaf more solid, drizzle with a little oil and bake for 40 minutes.
Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 5 minutes. Lift from the tin and place on a large plate. Serve sliced, sprinkled with some lemon zest and a drizzle of olive oil.