Low Sugar Blueberry French Toast Casserole
This nutritious, easy to make Low Sugar French Blueberry Toast Casserole Recipe is deliciously light and fluffy and filled with fibre and fruity goodness. No need to add any toppings!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 4 small soft rolls/buns white or brown, broken up into chunks
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup semi-skimmed milk/low fat
- 2.5 tbsp butter melted
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1.5 tbsp wheatgerm optional (if using white bread)
Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. You will need a medium casserole dish (approx. 6 cm deep).
Place the bread chunks in your oven dish. Whisk together the eggs and milk and pour over the bread. Stir thoroughly without pressing down and set aside for 5 minutes, then stir again.
Pour in the frozen blueberries, tuck them in between the bread pieces without pressing down, leaving some on the top. Sprinkle the wheatgerm (if using) and sugar over the whole thing, drizzle with the melted butter and bake for 30-40 minutes.
Remove from the oven and enjoy!
- Use either fresh or frozen blueberries. I chose the latter as they keep their shape better in baking. Also, using frozen rather than fresh blueberries makes this casserole an all-season dish. So you can make it any time you want!
- You can use either white or brown soft buns (seeded or not). If using white I recommend sprinkling a bit of wheat germ over the top for extra fibre.
- The egg mixture takes minutes to get absorbed so there is no need to soak the bread overnight.
- Cooking times may vary depending on the size and depth of your casserole dish. If you use a smaller dish the casserole mixture will be more compact and you may have to bake your dish a little longer. The casserole is ready if the middle is no longer wobbly.
- Best served straight from the oven.
Serving: 0g | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg