Healthy Fish Pie with Cauliflower Topping
This Healthy Fish Pie with Cauliflower Topping has all the qualities of a great, hearty comfort food dish but with a lot less calories - plus it comes with a vegetable already in it so there is no need to make a side dish!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 5 people
- 500 g salmon/cod/haddock skinless, boneless, chopped into chunks
- 300 g cauliflower roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 125 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice plus zest of 1 lemon
- 40 g cheddar cheese coarsely grated
- 3 tbsps breadcrumbs
- fine sea salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. You will need a medium size oven/pie dish (at least 6 cm deep).
Place the fish pieces in the pie dish, season, drizzle with the lemon juice and sprinkle the zest over the whole thing. Set aside.
Roughly chop the cauliflower, place in a blender and blitz briefly until the mixture becomes crumbly (take care not to overblend and turn it into mush). Combine with the breadcrumbs and cheese, season, stir and set aside.
To make the sauce in a small saucepan heat up 2 tablespoons of the oil, add the flour, lower the heat and quickly stir using a whisk until well combined and there are no lumps. Add the milk, season to taste, turn up the heat again and stir until the mixture has thickened and starts to bubble up, all the time using the whisk.
Pour the sauce over the fish, cover with the cauliflower mixture (do not press down!), drizzle the remaining oil over the whole thing and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
- Use salmon and/or any white fish.
- Process the cauliflower briefly, until crumbly. Do not overblend the mixture.
- The sauce I used in this recipe is a very basic white sauce, which you can use in a huge number of dishes. Check out ALL my recipes where I’ve used this simple white sauce. You won’t believe how versatile it is!
- It is important to season the fish, the sauce as well as the cauliflower topping.
- Best served immediately.
- Freeze the pie, uncooked, covered, for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 183mg | Potassium: 886mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 144IU | Vitamin C: 57mg | Calcium: 134mg | Iron: 2mg