Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Start your day with these delicious healthy peanut butter chocolate oatmeal cookies! These flourless cookies are packed full of goodness and make a fantastic snack as well as healthy lunchbox idea.
Prep Time 12 minutes
Cook Time 16 minutes
Total Time 28 minutes
Servings 12 large cookies
- 1.5 cups porridge oats not instant
- 2/3 cup almonds/hazelnuts lightly crushed
- 3 tbsp cocoa/cacao
- 1/4 cup flaxseed
- 1/2 cup currants
- For the Pumpkin Spice (all in powder form), 1.5 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp each: cloves, nutmeg, allspice optional, *see Notes below
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup peanut butter crunchy or smooth
- 6 tbsp salted butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C/ gas mark 4. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Combine the oats, nuts, cacao/cocoa, flaxseed, currants and pumpkin spice (if using), stir thoroughly and set aside.
Beat together the egg, sugar, butter and peanut butter for 2 minutes until fluffy. Add the dry mixture gradually until well combined.
Using an ice cream scoop form balls, place them on the cookie sheet and flatten until they are about 1.5 cm thick. Bake for 16 minutes.
Remove from the oven, leave to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer onto a cooling rack.
- Use jumbo rolled oats, NOT instant
- I tend to use cacao as it's a little healthier than cocoa but either one is fine to use.
- *You can omit the pumpkin spice altogether or just use 1 or 2 ingredients from the mixture.
- These cookies are semi-sweet - adjust the amount of sugar to suit your preference.
- You can swap currants for raisins, sultanas or other dried fruit (finely chopped).
- If you use unsalted butter add a good pinch of salt into the mixture.
- These cookies are quite crunchy and will retain this texture if you keep them in a paper bag (for up to 3 days). You can keep them in a plastic container if you prefer them to be a little chewy.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 264kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 109mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 199IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 2mg