Quick Braised Red Cabbage with Apple & Beetroot
This Quick Braised Red Cabbage with Apple & Beetroot is full of goodness and delicious festive flavours. It is vegan, gluten free and ready in just over 30 minutes.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 370 g red cabbage, very thinly sliced or shredded approx. 1/2 of small cabbage
- 1 medium beet peeled, coarsely grated
- 1 medium sour apple, or 1 small if you are using a cooking apple peeled, cored, diced or coarsely grated
- 1/3 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
- 1.5 tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 clementines, juice only
- 2.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp olive oil plus a little more for drizzling
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cumin
- Fine sea salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley/cilantro and zest of 1 small lemon for serving
In a large shallow pan/casserole dish (with a lid) heat up the oil, add the ginger, cabbage, grated beetroot and fry over a medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring often.
Add the rest of the ingredients, stir thoroughly, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally. Serve hot. Adjust seasoning if necessary, sprinkle with fresh herbs, add the lemon zest and drizzle with a little oil before serving.
- You can either shred the cabbage or slice it very thinly. I personally prefer the latter method as I like a bit of texture and crunch in this recipe.
- I recommend using a sour tasting rather than sweet apple to offset the sweetness of the cabbage and beetroot.
- You can either cube or coarsely grate the apple.
- You can make this dish ahead and refrigerate overnight. Simply reheat it once you are ready to serve it. (You might have to add a drop of water or clementine juice). I actually think it tastes better the next day.
- Spices: I chose a bit of allspice and cumin but a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon would work well too.
Serving: 0g | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg