Turkey Salad Sandwich with Chickpeas (No Mayo)
This turkey salad sandwich is made with a low calorie rich and creamy chickpeas sauce instead of mayo. Delicious with jalapenos for a bit of heat!
Prep Time 8 minutes
Total Time 8 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 300 g ready to eat turkey meat chopped or shredded
- 400 g canned chickpeas reserve the water
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove chopped
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped jalapeno peppers, pickled or fresh adjust the amount to suit your preference
- fine sea salt and pepper to taste
- serve with your favourite bread
To make the sauce blend together the chickpeas, garlic, cream cheese, lemon juice and half of the chickpeas water until velvety smooth. Adjust the amount of water to get the consistency you want.
Stir in the shallots, jalapenos, turkey, season to taste and serve with your favourite bread (and lettuce or arugula if you like).
- Substitutions: I used full fat cream cheese as I find it tastier than the low fat variety, but you could use either. You can use either white and dark turkey meat or a mixture. You can also swap turkey for chicken if you prefer.
- Jalapenos: Make this recipe as hot or mild as you like, and use either pickled or fresh jalapenos. I used a combination of pickled red jalapenos and fresh, medium hot, green ones for a bit of crunch.
- Herbs: I didn't use any but good options include freshly chopped cilantro or parsley.
- No turkey leftovers: Buy a small piece of turkey breast, season, brush with oil and bake in a small oven dish for about 45-50 minutes at 190 C/ gas mark 5. Remove from the oven, allow to cool completely, then chop or shred and combine with the sauce.
- Best served on the day. Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Not suitable for freezing.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 221kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 510mg | Potassium: 319mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 367IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 2mg