Quinoa Mocha Energy Balls Recipe
Mocha quinoa energy balls with peanut butter are packed full of healthy protein and delicious flavours. They make fantastic, low carb snack perfect for chocolate as well as coffee lovers.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Chilling Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 12 balls
- 90 g cooked quinoa
- 2 tsp cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 tsp instant coffee granules regular or decaf
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 70 g peanut butter smooth or crunchy
- 20 dried dates pitted, chopped, small variety, not medjool
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 3-4 tbsp ground almonds/almond flour
- crushed peanuts or cocoa for coating
Dissolve the coffee in the hot water and pour the mixture over the dates. Stir and set aside for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Mash with the back of a spoon before combining with the other ingredients.
Blitz all the ingredients (including the dates mixture), except the ground almonds, until the mixture is sticky and homogeneous but still has some texture (I used a stick blender to do this). Stir in the ground almonds and place the mixture in the freezer for 15 minutes (it will be easier to work with).
Remove from the freezer, form small balls and roll in the crushed nuts or cocoa (or leave as they are). Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. Keep refrigerated.
Top tips for making mocha quinoa energy balls
- Quinoa: To save time I recommend preparing the quinoa ahead. Cook the quinoa according to package instructions and once cooled refrigerate, covered, for up to 3 days.
- Peanut butter: If your peanut butter has no added salt add a pinch of sea salt into the puree. Also, because not all peanut butter has the same consistency you may have to use a little more ground almonds if your peanut butter is runny.
- Cacao: I usually use cacao in my chocolate recipes as it’s a little healthier than cocoa but you can use either. You may also like this collection of 27 everyday healthy cacao recipes.
- Coating: These quinoa balls can be enjoyed as they are but you can coat them in cacao/cocoa, sesame seeds, coconut flakes, chocolate flakes or another ingredient if you like.
- Storing: Keep refrigerated, covered, for up to 2 days.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 113kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 33mg | Potassium: 167mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg