This delicious one pot, Mediterranean inspired vegan butternut squash casserole is full of flavour and colour! It’s an incredibly easy dish to make, equally suitable for entertaining or as a family dinner idea.
One pot dishes, such as stews and casseroles are great any time but when the weather starts getting cold they are particularly appealing. Great, hearty casseroles are warming, filling and, if you use the right ingredients, also pretty nutritious. Such as this Healthy Pasta Bake with Eggplant and Chickpeas.
Such as this easy butternut squash casserole with a Mediterranean twist. It’s an autumnal recipe, full of sunshine, perfect on a rainy day.
Easy vegan butternut squash casserole
I wanted this recipe to be as uncomplicated as possible so I tried to keep the list of ingredients brief. Despite that this butternut squash casserole recipe is bursting with flavour!
The nutty sweetness of the squash, the tangy tomatoes and savory green olives create an intense flavour combination so there was no need to add many spices. When you first take it out of the oven and you can see the bubbles where the sauce has caramelized around the edges you just know it’s going to taste absolutely delicious.
In addition to being easy to make (see more on that just below), this vegan recipe for butternut squash is also healthy. It is made using only a moderate amount of olive oil, lots of vegetables and beans. Plus a splash of wine for extra richness of flavour. So it’s all good! It also happens to be gluten free.
How to make one pot vegan butternut squash casserole
Start by frying the onion, garlic, bay leaf and squash with a bit of oil. Add the wine half way through. Don’t forget to stir!
Add the tinned tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, beans with 1/3 of the brine, oregano, olives plus the brine, salt and pepper, and stir thoroughly.
Scatter the cherry tomatoes over the top, press in a little, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes and tuck in! (Scroll down to the bottom of the page for more detailed Instructions)
Enjoy this easy butternut squash casserole with pasta, quinoa, bread or simply on its own. This one-pot dish makes a great family meal but also works well as a potluck dinner item. Tastes delicious the next day too!
More butternut squash recipes
Vegan Mediterranean Butternut Squash Casserole
- 1 butternut squash, medium, peeled, seeds removed, cubed, approx. unpeeled weight 900-950g
- 1x400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1x400 g tin butter beans, not rinsed, plus approx. 1/3 of the liquid
- 6 sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped see *note below
- 15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted, half roughly chopped, plus 1/3 cup brine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1.5 tsp dried oregano
- 1 large bay leaf
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 tbsp white wine
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt, plus plenty of pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5.
- Heat up 4 tablespoons of the oil in a large shallow casserole dish. Add the bay leaf, onion and garlic and cook over a low/medium heat for a minute. Add the cubed butternut squash and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes. Half way through add the wine.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, beans with the brine, olives, plus the brine, oregano, salt and pepper, and stir thoroughly to combine. Dot the cherry tomatoes over the top, pressing in gently, drizzle with a little oil and pop in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven, leave to rest for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Pin Vegan Mediterranean Butternut Squash Casserole
KEEP IN TOUCH!
Recipe Link Parties
I am bringing this vegan Mediterranean Butternut Squash Casserole to #CookBlogShare. This week’s host is Eb@Easy Peasy Foodie. I am also taking it to Cook Once Eat Twice. Also sharing with Fiesta Friday, co-hosted by Catherine @ Kunstkitchen’s Blog and Becky @ Bubbly Bee.