This Baked Salmon and Sweetheart Cabbage with Dill is the perfect weeknight dinner idea. Made using only a handful of ingredients, it’s quick, easy and absolutely delicious!
Cabbage is a great vegetable whatever the season but I find its greener varieties are particularly suited for spring. Which is why I chose sweetheart cabbage for this baked salmon and cabbage recipe. This is a light and quick to prepare dish that’s perfect as a weeknight family meal.
Sweetheart cabbage is also known as pointed cabbage. It is more tender, greener and sweeter than the more popular white cabbage. This means that it cooks faster, looks more vibrant and adds more flavour to a dish. It also pairs extremely well with dill. And salmon tastes fantastic with both!
How to make salmon and cabbage casserole
This salmon and cabbage bake contains very few ingredients, which makes it a really quick and simple dish. Fish doesn’t need long to cook and the cabbage, precooked briefly on the stove top, retains its vibrant green colour, sweetness and crunch.
This dish is an incredibly easy to make! Chop the cabbage and fry in a little oil for a couple of minutes. Add the dill, season to taste and continue cooking for 5 more minutes, stirring often. Then simply transfer the mixture into your casserole dish, place the salmon pieces on top, add the butter, cover and bake for about 20 minutes (until your salmon is fully cooked). Enjoy your dish!
This easy salmon bake is one of those dishes where less is definitely more. The 3 main ingredients: salmon, cabbage and dill, work together so well that there is really no need to add much more beyond the usual seasoning (I recommend white rather than black pepper) and a good drizzle of lime juice.
Potatoes are always a good side dish for salmon recipes. Try this salmon and cabbage casserole with these healthy mashed potatoes with spinach or my spiced potato wedges. It would also work well with these vegan hasselback sweet potatoes. This easy salmon recipe could also be served with pasta (such as orzo) or rice.
More easy salmon family meal recipes
Baked Salmon and Sweetheart Cabbage with Dill
- 500 g salmon cut into pieces (I used 4), skinned
- 1 large sweetheart cabbage
- 2 tablespoons dill finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Sea salt and white pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place the salmon pieces on a large plate, season and drizzle generously with the lime juice. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F/ 220 C/ gas mark 7. You will need a medium oven dish.
- Cut the cabbage in half lengthways and then each piece again in half lengthways. Slice each piece into approx. 1 cm thick strips.
- In a large pot heat up the oil, add the cabbage and cook for a couple of minutes over a medium/high heat stirring constantly. Add the dill, season to taste and continue cooking for 5 more minutes stirring often.
- Transfer the cabbage into the oven dish, place the salmon pieces on top (including the lime marinade if there is any left on the plate), pressing gently, put a few small knobs of butter on the fish pieces and cover the dish with tin foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes (±2 minutes, depending on how thick your salmon is). Serve with potatoes, pasta, rice or a slice of crusty bread.
Pin Baked Salmon and Sweetheart Cabbage with Dill!
Keep in touch!
Recipe link parties
I am bringing this Baked Salmon and Sweetheart Cabbage with Dill recipe to Fiesta Friday which I am happy to be co-hosting with Diann from Of Goats and Greens. Join the party, share your culinary adventures and see what everyone else has brought to the party this week! Don’t forget to include links to Fiesta Friday, this blog as well as Diann’s blog in your post for a chance to be featured next week. Diann and I will visit and share your lovely recipes on various social media:)