This 6-ingredient healthy easy mushroom pasta comes together in a matter of minutes! It is made using naturally low in fat fromage frais (fromage blanc), which thickens the sauce and adds lots of delicious tanginess to it.
Fromage Frais (fromage blanc)
When it comes to creating quick healthy sauces (that aren’t tomato based) I love to use fromage frais. This product is NOT the same as the more popular crème fraiche or sour cream. I thought I’d make that clear right from the start to avoid any confusion.
Fromage frais is an ideal ingredient to use in sauces as it doesn’t curdle! Simply whisk it into the sauce to create a light, creamy consistency. It has a very low fat content (6-8 g per 100g of the product), in comparison to crème fraiche, which can have as much as 45g fat (per 100 g of the product)! Both ingredients have a similar tangy flavour.
Check out ALL my recipes where I’ve used fromage frais!
Easy Mushroom Pasta Sauce
This healthy mushroom pasta sauce contains only 4 ingredients! So it’s very simple and also incredibly easy to make. Just fry the mushrooms in a little oil until browned, then add some water from cooking the pasta, whisk in the fromage frais, season to taste and combine with the pasta.
Frying the mushrooms over a high heat until lightly browned really brings out their flavour. I used this method in this vegan creamy mushroom soup recipe, with great results too.
This easy mushroom sauce for pasta takes minutes to prepare and you’ll have a delicious vegetarian meal, made from scratch ready in about 15 minutes! It’s pretty healthy too!
I often like to cook pasta with a bay leaf. It’s an easy trick to add more flavour to a dish, especially one with few ingredients in it.
This easy mushroom sauce can be served with pasta of your choice – I used tagliatelle. For a low carb option try serving it with these delicious, versatile root vegetable noodles nests.
Alternatively use a combination of pasta and veggie noodles – less pasta, more veg, healthy and satisfying!
More easy mushroom recipes
If you like this easy mushroom pasta you might also like this other healthy mushroom sauce recipe I made some time ago. Check out also this Mushroom, Asparagus Potato Casserole with Herbs. For a non-vegetarian recipe idea see my Low Fat Chicken and Mushroom Casserole.
Healthy Easy Mushroom Pasta
- 6 tagliatelle pasta nests, uncooked
- 350 g mushrooms, roughly chopped, I used closed cup mushrooms
- 2 heaped tablespoons fromage frais,
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- fine sea salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Cook the pasta with the bay leaf in salted water according to the packet instructions. Strain, reserving ½ cup of the water.
- In the meantime prepare the mushroom sauce. In a large pan heat up the oil, add the chopped mushrooms and fry over a high heat for about 7 minutes until the mushrooms have browned a little. Stir occasionally.
- Lower the heat, add 1/3 cup of water from cooking the pasta, fromage frais and stir using a whisk. Toss in the cooked pasta, season to taste, stir through and serve!
Pin Healthy Easy Mushroom Pasta!