These healthy apple pancakes with cinnamon & yogurt not only make a delicious low carb breakfast, but can also be enjoyed as a snack anytime. They contain yogurt, apple, almond flakes for a bit of crunch and no added sugar!
The combination of apple, cinnamon and almond tastes delicious in apple pie but works equally well in this healthy apple pancakes breakfast recipe. Even without the sugar that apple pie would normally contain. These semi-sweet apple pancakes with cinnamon and yogurt are fruity and sweet yet contain no added sugar, honey or any other sweetener.
Healthy apple pancakes
I have used sweet, rather than sour tasting apples in this recipe. Together with the cinnamon and almonds (both naturally sweet ingredients) they make these pancakes sweet enough to enjoy even on their own.
If, however, you can’t imagine breakfast pancakes without a drizzle of maple syrup that’s absolutely ok, too. You could also dust them with a little icing sugar if you like.
Healthy pancakes from scratch
Why is it a good idea to make pancakes from scratch? Simply because it allows you to control the ingredients. So you can add the sugar but you don’t have to. Or you can use milk only or perhaps combine it with a bit of yogurt or Skyr as I have done in this healthy pancake recipe.
And pancakes from scratch are very quick and easy to make!
How to make healthy apple pancakes from scratch
Start by combining the dry ingredients and stirring thoroughly using a whisk. In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients until smooth. Add the grated apple, cinnamon and almond flakes into the egg mixture and stir. Then simply combine the two mixtures and stir. And you are ready to make the pancakes!
Try not to overstir the pancake batter. Stop stirring once the flour is no longer visible. The batter should be lumpy.
When it comes to frying the pancakes it is important to do so over a low heat to give them a chance to cook through before they brown on the outside and prevent them burning.
More than just a breakfast recipe
These healthy pancakes not only make a delicious breakfast, they can also be enjoyed as a snack (either hot or cold). As the pancakes contain a large amount of fruit (there is more apple in this recipe than any other ingredient) they stay moist and fresh for hours.
They make a delicious healthy lunchbox idea. I think the almond flakes work well with the soft fruit, adding pleasant subtle crunch to the texture (something my own children really liked about these pancakes).
Check out also these other pancake recipe ideas.
More breakfast apple recipes
If you like these apple cinnamon pancakes you may also like this Maple Pecan Baked Apples Recipe. Check out also this Healthy Apple Crumble with Walnuts and Ginger. You might also enjoy these Gluten Free Apple Muffins with Coconut.
Celebrate Pancake Day this year with these simple, delicious healthy apple pancakes!
Check out also this collection of 18 healthy, easy vegetable breakfast recipes.
Healthy Apple Pancakes with Cinnamon & Yogurt
- 2 medium/large sweet apples
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup Skyr or Greek yogurt
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup milk
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons flaked almonds
- Olive oil for frying use 1 tablespoon per batch
- Combine the flour and baking powder, stir using a whisk and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and Skyr (or Greek yogurt) until the mixture is silky smooth. Add the milk and stir. Set aside.
- Peel and coarsely grate the apples (discarding the cores). Combine with the almond flakes and cinnamon and stir thoroughly. Tip into the egg mixture and stir well. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine. Do not overstir, the batter should be lumpy.
- Heat up a little oil (about 1 tablespoon) in a pancake pan, spoon the batter onto the pan and fry the pancakes over a low heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side until they are lightly browned. Fry the pancakes in batches, avoiding overcrowding the pan, using approximately 1 tablespoon of oil for each batch.
- Serve with maple syrup, a bit of icing sugar sprinkled on top or without any toppings.