These easy, delicious Healthy Blueberry Breakfast Muffins with Quinoa are packed full of goodness and flavour. These low sugar blueberry muffins make a delicious breakfast/brunch, snack or healthy lunchbox idea your children will love!
Blueberry muffins with frozen blueberries
I love using frozen fruit in baking. As the fruit thaws while in the oven it doesn’t get the chance to cook for too long so tastes fresh even in the finished product. The fruit will keep their shape well and won’t get mushy!
Using frozen fruit also means that this recipe can be enjoyed all year round, not just when blueberries are in season!
I used frozen blueberries in this easy muffin recipe because they are one of my favourite fruits but you can use any frozen fruit.
I also used frozen blueberries in this Low Sugar French Toast Casserole!
Healthy breakfast muffins
Why is this muffin recipe with quinoa super healthy?
First of because these blueberry breakfast muffins are low both in sugar as well as fat. I also used vegetable oil rather than butter. (I find that oil often produces fluffier bakes and there is no need to use an electric mixer either!).
This recipe is packed full of nutritious ingredients. I’ve halved the amount of flour I would normally use and added healthy wheatgerm (high in fibre!).
I also used cooked quinoa, which is not only full of goodness (such as protein, perfect to use with a breakfast recipe) but also helps to make these muffins extra light and fluffy!
And let’s not forget the blueberries! They are delicious, high in antioxidants and simply gorgeous in a muffin recipe!
This recipe uses cooked quinoa but if you cook it ahead (once cooled it can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days) you will save lots of time when making the muffins.
More quinoa muffin recipes
If you like the idea of adding quinoa to your breakfast muffin recipes check out these zesty Quinoa Muffins with Lime and Sultanas. You might also like these gorgeous Healthy Chocolate Muffins with Quinoa. They are made with cacao as well as chocolate chips.
Check out also this collection of 18 healthy, easy vegetable breakfast recipes.
Healthy Blueberry Breakfast Muffins with Quinoa
- 1 and 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup wheatgerm
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup lightly packed cooked quinoa a little less than a cup
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup semi-skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cases.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, wheatgerm and baking powder and stir well
- using a whisk. Set aside.
- In another large bowl combine the egg, sugar, oil and milk and whisk to combine thoroughly. Add the quinoa and stir well.
- Toss the blueberries into the dry mixture and stir to combine. Pour into the egg mixture and stir only until the dry ingredients are no longer visible. The mixture will be lumpy.
- Spoon equal amounts of the batter into the muffin cases and bake for 23 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 5 minutes. Transfer the muffins onto a cooling rack.
Pin Healthy Blueberry Breakfast Muffins with Quinoa