These 5-ingredient Healthy Potato Asparagus Frittata Muffins, ready in under 30 minutes, are made using raw potatoes! Enjoy for breakfast, brunch or as a healthy snack. These frittata muffins also make a delicious healthy lunchbox idea.
I have recently purchased a lovely ceramic muffin dish and this Healthy Potato Asparagus Frittata Muffin is the first recipe I have made using it. I wasn’t planning on getting another muffin pan but this dish was so pretty I couldn’t resist. So my first recipe had to be something a bit more special, a little different from my usual muffin recipes.
Healthy frittata muffins
I love the idea of a mini breakfast/brunch frittata/savoury muffin, packed with protein and vegetables and great flavour. All in one place!
These robust little egg frittatas are all these things, plus they make a satisfying snack that you can enjoy anytime (cold or hot). Why not pop them in your child’s lunchbox too!
For me though these healthy savoury muffins work best as a breakfast idea. They provide energy without the addition of sugar. I used potato in this recipe to give these mini breakfast frittatas a bit more substance. I also added some cheese (I chose halloumi), though only a moderate amount to keep the fat content down. Another super healthy and delicious ingredient I used is asparagus. It pairs fantastically with the egg, potato as well as halloumi.
Easy vegetarian mini frittatas
None of the ingredients have to be precooked so this recipe is very quick to prepare. There is a bit of grating involved, but it won’t take long – apart from the halloumi you’ll only need to grate one potato. Then all you have to do is combine these ingredients with the egg mixture, throw in the asparagus and your healthy frittata batter is ready! These savoury muffins take 25-30 minutes to bake. The potato will be fully cooked and the asparagus will be cooked but still firm, not mushy.
Ensure you squeeze all the water out of the grated potato before adding into the batter!
This dish calls for lots of pepper so use it generously!
How to store mini egg frittatas
Keep them in an air tight container refrigerated for up to 3 days. They also freeze well.
More savoury muffin recipes
For more healthy breakfast ideas using vegetables read my post on How To Eat More Vegetables For Breakfast.
Healthy Potato Asparagus Frittata Muffins
- 6 eggs
- 80 g asparagus chopped
- 120 g halloumi grated
- 1 medium/large potato
- 1 heaped teaspoon flour
- Pepper to taste and olive oil for drizzling
- *Optional - Cooking spray not needed if you are using a ceramic muffin dish
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5.
- Whisk the eggs and flour until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps. Peel and coarsely grate the potato. Place in a strainer and press very firmly to get rid of all excess water. Add to the egg mixture.
- Add the asparagus, 2/3 halloumi and plenty of pepper. Stir the mixture thoroughly. Grease your muffin dish with cooking spray (*optional), and fill, as evenly as possible, with the frittata mixture. Top with the remaining cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Makes 6 muffin frittatas.
Pin Healthy Potato Asparagus Frittata Muffins